Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Breathing Room

"The practice is simply this: keep coming back to your breath during the day. Just take a moment. This will give your mind a steadiness and your breath a gracefulness...There's so much to let go of, isn't there? Your nostalgia and your regrets. Your fantasies and your fears. What you think you want instead of what is happening right now. Breathe." -  Rodney Yee


Image result for breath and yoga quotes


When I started my 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training three months ago, my intention was to remain open to the lessons of the journey.  I enrolled in the training course curious, wanting to scratch the itch inside that was calling for something different.

The past several months have helped me understand that the itch was more like my insides gasping for air, the deep prana inside me needing more room to groove, my spirit needing space to flutter again and then fly a new route.   I needed space, time.  I needed to practice pranayama physically and spiritually.

I needed breathing room.

As writer Liz Gilbert says, the curiosity I started this journey with has given me some important clues on the scavenger hunt of my life.  And so, I'm following those clues to see where they lead next.

Today is my last day in The Big Job I've had for the last 5 years.  It's a role in which I've been highly successful.  It's a role that I've loved.  It's a role that has been the most challenging and engaging of my career to-date. It's been a role full of extreme, exciting highs and deep, painful lows.  And it's a role that hasn't left much space for anything else

So I'm now choosing a new path, intentionally noticing what brings me energy, and gently allowing for more and more margin in my life.

I'm breathing in and out - and couldn't be more at peace.




No comments: